Sr Systems Engineer obsessed with automation.
Sr Systems Engineer at Sauce Labs -- May 2014 - Present
- Created a repeatable, consistent environment by replacing legacy scripts with Ansible across all teams for 80% of the environment.
- Replaced DNSmasq with Ansible-driven highly-available ISC DHCP/BIND9 setup performing DHCP / DNS for internal cloud.
- Decreased the time to provision bare metal from days to less than an hour leveraging TFTP/PXE and Ansible.
- Tending to various responsibilities of the Director of Ops until a replacement Director of Ops is hired.
Ops Engineer at Versal -- April 2013 - May 2014 (1 year 2 months)
- Ensured business stability by successfully managing hundreds of servers across 4 AWS Regions and their AZs.
- Created a more reliable and repeatable infrastructure with Chef, migrated from Salt Stack.
- Made colleagues happier and more productive with internal tooling for monitoring, application deployment, and automation using Python, Jenkins, and Fabric scripts.
Linux Systems Engineer at TiVo -- October 2011 - April 2013 (1 year 7 months)
- Monitored the availability and performance of the TiVo services and applications as well as the internal infrastructure.
- Helped team members respond to problems by converting and re-writing the existing NOC runbook from a Word document to Sphinx.
- Ensured system reliability by a controlled deployment of application updates, CentOS patches and HP Blade updates.
- Responsible for daily standup highlighting issues during the past 24 hours.
Sys Admin I / Sys Admin II at University of the Pacific -- September 2007 - October 2011 (4 years 2 months)
- Daily administration of production NetApp 6040 active/active cluster. Manage CIFS/NFS as well as iSCSI and FC SAN. Create/Manage user and directory quotas for shares. Also created a custom PowerShell script that shortened the time required to provision a LUN for VMware virtual machine usage. Cluster utilizes SATA, SAS and Fiber Channel disks. Have racked/stacked and cabled all shelves in production environment. Upgraded Data ONTAP from 220.127.116.11 to 7.3.2 to get support for SAS shelves.
- Replaced two tape-backup environments with a disk-based backup solution utilizing Data Domain hardware, eliminating tape completely. Utilized NetVault's VTL and Symantec's OST. Shortened the amount of time required for backup and restore operations. Primary Data Domain is replicated to a secondary Data Domain at disaster recovery site providing off-site recovery and business compliance requirements.
- Replaced a degraded Server 2003 print cluster with a highly available Server 2008 print cluster virtualized on VMware ESX, As a part of the Server 2008 print cluster upgrade/migration, implemented a development/testing environment and new policies for the installation of production drivers and printers to ensure quality of service for all users across campus.
- Performed head swap upgrading a NetApp 270 to NetApp 2040 providing fault tolerance on the heads and increased performance and capacity for future growth.
- Performed a non-disruptive upgrade of an active/active 6080 cluster from 18.104.22.168 to 7.3.2 as recommended by NetApp to provide better performance.
- Completed testing/proof of concept of Server 2003 AD to Server 2008 R2 AD.
- Assisted in the physical moving our Data Center.
- Evaluated VMware View and Citrix Xen Desktop with HPBL490c servers. Evaluation also included PCoIP thin clients, as well as HP, Tegile and NetApp storage solutions.
IT Contractor / Consultant at Self employed -- September 2006 - September 2007 (1 year 1 month)
- Maintained my business's profitability and my clients budgets in bounds by managing vendors and maintaining a close watch on industry developments.
- Played a role in my customer's success within their respective fields by giving them a competitive advantage with their technology via selecting the correct technologies and providing timely support.
Support Agent at Sitel -- February 2006 - September 2006 (8 months)
- Obtained a Sensitive Government Security Clearance to support the United States Postal Service.
- Solved user problems rapidly with a 90% first call resolution using remote support tools and developing repeatable solutions and troubleshooting techniques.
Computer Tech at Southeast Mental Health Services -- February 2003 - February 2006 (3 years 1 month)
- Increased staff productivity by quickly resolving desktop support issues across 6 remote locations in a 250 square mile area of Southeast Colorado.
- Deployed the company's first internal and public website providing information regarding services to the surrounding communities as well as internal information and documentation for employees and board members.
- Evaluated and made recommendation on new IT-related purchases to provide quality of service to staff as directed by the executive staff.
- MCTS - Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
- MCTS - Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
- MCTS - Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration
RedHat and Debian based Linux distributions | Ansible | Salt Stack | Windows Server 2000 - 2008 R2 | Active Directory | NetApp Filers | Data Domain | Dell | HP | Cisco UCS | Avocent DSView | Chef | KVM | Jira | Symantec Netbackup | VMWare ESX(i)
Areas of Experience
Nagios and Icinga | Cacti | Graphite | Python | Django | Fabric | Powershell | VTL | OST | Disaster Recovery | libvirt | MAAS | TFTP/PXE | Datacenter | Git